Sunday, December 2, 2007

NASWC Bird Walk


There were 2 of us for the December NASWC bird walk. We walked around the T&C playing fields on the north side of the creek and then went into the woods downstream of fields. We saw or heard 42 species. Here are some highlights:
  • 2 huge flocks of Red-winged Blackbirds flew over the parking lot at about 7:45 AM. I conservatively estimated 1000 birds, more than I've ever seen of this species in the neighborhood before.
  • From the new footbridge we got great looks at 15-20 American Goldfinches.
  • On the north edge of the soccer fields we got a very close look at a Loggerhead Shrike and several grasshoppers it or another shrike had impaled on barbs on the fence.
  • At the northwest corner of the soccer fields we got great close looks at (and I got the above picture) of 2 White-crowned Sparrows.
  • We got great looks at the first Hermit Thrush I've seen in the neighborhood this season.
  • A Pied-billed Grebe and an unidentified duck were by the last dam. This was the first duck I've seen on the creek all winter, so I was disappointed that I only got a quick glimpse and could not identify it.
  • We got a very close look at an American Pipit on our way back and I got this picture.

No comments: