Sunday, November 25, 2007

Feels like winter birding

I was out of town for Thanksgiving and got back Friday.  But between the rain and work I couldn't get out to bird the neighborhood until this afternoon.  It was nice to be out in the cold overcast weather, and it's starting to feel like winter birding again!  I walked 1-2 blocks from my house before I saw or heard a single bird.  But walking down Stillforest I came across 2 fun mixed species foraging flocks including several birds that are only here in the winter:
Continuing down to the T&C playing fields at the end of Meadowheath, I crossed the new footbridge into the flood plain property.  There I found Yellow-rumped Warblers, a Northern Flicker, 4 Greater Yellowlegs on the creek, and the biggest flock of Chipping Sparrows I've ever seen in the neighborhood.  I estimated 40 birds, all on the ground near the new trailhead parking lot.

No comments: