Monday, December 12, 2016

Golden-crowned Kinglet

At about 10:00 on this beautiful clear and cool morning, I spent a little over an hour birding our streets. You'd think that you would always find more birds on Lake Creek Trail than on our streets. But in Forest North Estates we have so many mature native trees, that there are a few species of birds that are more easily found in the tree canopy between and sometimes over our houses. In fact in the winter, often you can find wonderful mixed-species foraging flocks of songbirds all foraging for insects in slightly different ways. I was pleased to find one of these flocks this morning near Cedarhurst and Broadmeade.

The flock had year-round residents Carolina Chickadees, Black-crested Titmice, Carolina Wrens, Downy Woodpecker, Ladder-backed Woodpecker, and Red-bellied Woodpecker. It also had winter residents Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Orange-crowned Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, and a single Golden-crowned Kinglet. I've heard a few Golden-crowned Kinglets on my morning jogs during the past few weeks, but this is the first good look I've gotten of one this season. I got these two so-so photos:

Golden-crowned Kinglet - 1


Golden-crowned Kinglet - 2


Here's my complete bird list.

No comments: