Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tadpoles!

I slept in this morning, and when I did finally leave the house at around 9:00, it was for a brisk walk instead of to go birding. Still, I had my binoculars with me and I can't help but notice birds and other wildlife. On Lake Creek at the east edge of the Town and Country playing fields, there was a shallow area of the creek just loaded with tiny tadpoles. I took this photo with my iPhone.


Tadpoles in Lake Creek

Lake Creek is full of fish, insect, reptile, and amphibian life. Sue Anderson has been monitoring frogs on the creek once a month for a Capital Area Master Naturalist program called Amphibian Watch. She's recorded 6 species of frogs here I believe. (If you're interested in joining her, send me an email and I'd be happy to put you in touch with her.)

Some interesting birds I noticed this morning were Least Sandpipers and Green Herons on the creek, Chimney Swifts and Barn Swallows in the sky, and an adult Red-bellied Woodpecker feeding an immature bird in a tree on Broadmeade.

I'll be giving my presentation about birding in this neighborhood (with lots and lots of bird photos) to our neighborhood association on Thursday, September 13. Watch the NASWC web site for details.

1 comment:

TXGalOnTheGo said...

Oh, man, I'm jealous! We have seen very little down by the dam since the big rains last month washed everything over the spillway. I'm hoping we can see some of these little guys during our Amphibian Watch night on Sept 8.