Sunday, April 17, 2011

Nashville Warblers

We're approaching the peak of spring bird migration in the Austin area, and for the past week I've been hearing and seeing one of our most common migrating songbirds, the Nashville Warbler. Despite the name, these birds winter in Mexico and breed way up north in the boreal forest of Canada. We only get to see them (and hear them) while they're passing through. Here's a photo I got of one in my backyard almost exactly 2 years ago. It shows the yellow breast and belly, yellow throat, grey cheeks and head, and bright white eye-ring that identify this tiny bird. Look and listen for them in our trees the next time you're out!

Nashville Warbler

3 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

Your mention of the white eye-ring makes me pretty sure a Nashville warbler has been visiting my garden, Mikael, but the through-the-window photos aren't very good. Also think I've identified a pair of Yellow-rumped warblers. If I get a bird post up in a couple of days would you come over & grade my guesses?

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Mikael Behrens said...

Sure thing!

Annie in Austin said...

Thanks, Mikael - the post is up now, if you get a chance to read it.

Annie