Monday, February 28, 2011

Merlin and Little Blue Heron

I've been out of town for the weekend, so I didn't get to bird the neighborhood. But Barry Noret was here, and on Saturday he was excited to find a Merlin and a Little Blue Heron on Lake Creek Trail. Merlins are small elegant falcons that are winter residents in central Texas. I've seen them on the trail before, but never very often and not for a couple years. Little Blue Herons are mostly summer residents here (unlike the much larger Great Blue Herons which are here year-round). So the one Barry found was most likely a north-bound migrant. It's a neat time of year right now and for the next couple months. We are able to see both winter birds and summer birds! Here's a photo Barry got of the Little Blue Heron ruffling its feathers:

Little Blue Heron Fluffing

I spent the weekend in Port Aransas volunteering for their annual Whooping Crane Festival. Here are some photos I took in the area. I hope to get back out in the neighborhood soon!

No comments: