Monday, July 26, 2010

Purple Martins

Purple MartinsI was visiting family and birding down on the coast this weekend, so I didn't get a chance to get out in the neighborhood. But on my way to the grocery store tonight I saw this small gathering of Purple Martins near Morris Road and Anderson Mill Road (behind the new fitness center). On my way back I stopped and got this photo. After nesting is done Purple Martins gather in communal roosts that can number in the hundreds of thousands. I only counted 45 birds here, but Austin has one of these giant roosts on the north side of Highland Mall. I was there a couple weeks ago and got these photos and videos. It's an amazing spectacle that's impossible to truly appreciate from photos, and it's only here for a few more weeks until the birds head south.

No comments: