Monday, April 21, 2008

Sora

I had the day off so I spent a couple hours birding the Town and Country playing fields this morning. Yesterday I saw my first Western Kingbird of the year. Today I was pleased to find my first Eastern Kingbird of the year. But the big surprise of the morning came when I was walking upstream along the creek about in the middle of the playing fields. There in the middle of the creek bed was a Sora walking around out in the open! I guess the reeds and other vegetation in that area of the creek have grown up enough to make that spot attractive to a migrating Sora. These little rails usually stay pretty hidden deep in the marsh. I got these 2 pictures, although because of the distance, the pictures are pretty low resolution. In the first one you can see its ridiculously long toes, which come in handy for walking on soft mud.

No comments: