Saturday, April 19, 2008

Nestling Eastern Screech-Owl

My neighbors on Broadmeade Philip and Yvonne called me early this evening to tell me about a nestling Eastern Screech-Owl that Philip found on their back patio. They asked me if I wanted to take a look so I walked over and got a couple pictures. We assumed it fell out of an owl nest box they have in their backyard. So to get it up off the ground and closer to its parents, Yvonne put the little owl in an Easter basket and Philip hung the basket near the nest box. Nestlings like this often get out of their nests but the parents usually still feed them if they can. Shortly after Philip hung the basket another nestling (a sibling?) popped its head out of the nest box to see what was going on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh.

That Baby Owl Easter Basket picture is the cutest thing IN THE WORLD.