Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Long Fun Morning

I covered almost 3 miles this morning, from my house to both ends of the new hike-and-bike trail and almost all the way to where Lake Creek goes under Parmer Lane. I kept finding birds and just couldn't stop! Highlights include:
  • I heard a Nashville Warbler and Black-throated Green Warbler singing as soon as I stepped outside my house.
  • I heard my first Swainson's Thrush of the year just across the street. They have a strangely beautiful fluting song that we Texans only get to hear briefly this time of year as they move through the state.
  • A moment later a Yellow-headed Blackbird flew overhead. Andrea Hopkins once saw one of these in her back yard on Braeburn Glen, but this was the first time I've ever seen one in the neighborhood.
  • Near the north end of the hike-and-bike trail a flock of about 60 Double-crested Cormorants flew over me heading north. I got this picture:
  • Near the Parmer Lane bridge I found 8 Baird's Sandpipers in the new drainage pond for the DR Horton construction project there. Here are 2 pictures.
  • On my way back a hawk flew overhead that I could not identify. It might have been a Ferruginous Hawk, but it's a little late to see one around here. It might have been a very pale Red-tailed Hawk. But it did not have the dark leading edge to the wings that Red-tails have. I hope I get another chance to ID it!

No comments: