Saturday, September 15, 2007

Bell's Vireo and Other Migrants

I got these pictures of a Bell's Vireo this morning. Even though Labor Day was the first time I ever saw this species in the neighborhood, I found 2 on the flood plain property this morning. This one was singing. It has an unmistakable silly-sounding song which you can hear if you follow the link above.

Several birds today were first-of-season sightings for me. While I was standing in the tributary creek bed near the end of Meadowheath I saw my first American Kestrel this fall. It was flying high and headed south. In the same spot I also found my first Nashville Warbler and Common Yellowthroat of the season. They were with 4 female Painted Buntings foraging in the tall reeds.

Some other fun birds I found this morning:

No comments: