Thursday, June 14, 2007

Box Turtle Update


Back in April I found this Ornate Box Turtle crossing Broadmeade one morning. I was thrilled to find it since land turtles like this one are very rare nowadays. A couple weeks ago I stumbled on this page on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's web site. TPWD wants to know when box turtles are seen in Texas. I printed the reporting form, filled it out, and mailed it in. The only information I didn't have was a measurement of the turtle. We got over half an inch of rain the night before which may have been significant. It was nice to be able to contribute to this monitoring project, even if it was just one data point. TPWD has several other monitoring projects for different animals too. They all look like great excuses to get out and find more cool animals in the neighborhood!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, cool! Texas Nature Trackers. I'm already doing the Hummingbird Roundup here. But now if I see a box turtle or a horned lizard I can record that too. Oh my gosh, very awesome.