Sunday, March 4, 2007

Waxwings and Owl


I was out for about 2 hours in the cold wind yesterday morning. It turned out to be worth it. I snapped this picture of some Cedar Waxwings on Chester Forest St. while the sun was still low in the sky. When I got to the T&C playing fields there was still a large flock of American Pipits, probably staging for migration. I thought about heading back home since the wind was blowing hard and cold, and not many birds were out. But I crossed the creek and went into the flood plain property for a quick look. I flushed a large grayish bird and watched it fly off through the woods until it landed. I managed to find it with my binoculars and was thrilled to see a Great Horned Owl. I have only heard and had fleeting glimpses of this bird in our neighborhood until now.

No comments: